We’ve all heard the term “beauty sleep” at one time or another, but is there any truth behind it? The answer you will hear from the Fayetteville skincare staff at Truffles is unequivocally, yes. If you care about your skin’s complexion and overall beauty you must view sleep as an essential part of your daily beauty regimen. Sleep is equal in importance to proper exfoliation, using quality skincare products, and daily SPF application.
You can’t skimp on your sleep and expect your skin to still look great, here’s why:
Your skin most effectively repairs itself overnight. UV damage, acne scarring, and blemishes are able to heal faster while you sleep. Similarly, many skin conditions that manifest on the outside are connected to something internally. If you have a condition like eczema, acne, or rosacea, plenty of shut-eye may help alleviate some of your symptoms. These types of skin irritations often flare up under stress, so rest and relaxation are your ally in the battle for beauty.
Lack of quality sleep will age you faster. During deep sleep, the rise in your body’s growth hormones allows damaged cells to naturally repair. Without the deeper phases of sleep, this process can not take place effectively, allowing the small daily breakdowns to accumulate instead of being reversed overnight. This results in more noticeable signs of aging. Additionally, insomnia is associated with having high levels of the stress hormone cortisol. This hormone causes an overall breakdown of tissue, which results in sagging skin, fine lines, and wrinkles.
Your skin moisturizes itself overnight. While you sleep, your body’s hydration rebalances. Skin is able to recover moisture, while excess water in the body is processed for removal. Not getting enough sleep results in poor water balance, leading to puffy bags under your eyes and under-eye circles, as well as dryness and more visible wrinkles.
Sleep makes your skin care products more effective. If you use any medical grade night creams or retinols, they’re almost always better when you put them on at night before bed. Because these products aren’t meant to be used in direct sunlight it’s best to apply them to your skin prior to bed and then drift off into sleep while they work their magic. As the blood flow to your skin increases late at night, the creams and lotions you use are able to be absorbed more quickly.
Now you know that there’s truth behind the “beauty sleep” phrase, so what do you do to properly maintain your skin’s healthy glow?
1. Get plenty of sleep! Sleep reduces cortisol and increases melatonin, which helps promote cellular turnover improving skin texture and tone. It’s call beauty sleep for a reason, ladies!
2. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, you need both internal and external hydration in order to stay glowing throughout the day.
3. Do what you can to keep electronics out of the bedroom. Your body needs to power down completely and recharge just as much as your smartphone.
4. Invest in breathable (or silk!) sheets and wash them often. Bedding is notorious for collecting dust mites and bacteria, which can do harm to your skin.
5. Invest in quality skincare. Truffles offers medical grade skincare products that will work with your body during the day and overnight to maintain and enhance your skin’s appearance.
Want to find out the best practices and best products for maintaining a healthy glow? Need more convincing on the beauty sleep claim? Don’t do these things and then make an appointment with one of our expert Estheticians to receive the absolute best in Fayetteville skincare. They’ll help get you on track toward a more refreshed-looking you.